As a lot of you know through Facebook, I recently miscarried what would have been our 5th child. When I went in for my first (10 wk) ultrasound, the baby had stopped growing about 5 days before. That whole day before my appt, I was extra nervous and had a feeling and an impression that this baby was not ready. I cleaned my house, and felt as though I needed to prepare myself and be ready for bad news. I picked up Aaron for the appt & told him that I thought this baby did not have a heartbeat. As soon as they did the ultrasound, I saw the baby but there was obviously no little heart beating so fast as there usually is. The ultrasound tech then split the screen to where you can see the baby on one side and the heart moniter on the other and the heart line was flat. I knew it. I started to cry. Although I had a feeling, of course I wanted to be surprised and relieved that everything was fine. Since I make my blog posts into books, I am going to record some of this more than I usually would, so if you don't want to read it, I don't blame you.
I miscarried back in 2003 and I was devastated. I was heartbroken and since I only had Mason, I worried that I would only be able to have him, and he wouldn't have a brother or a sister. I was upset that I miscarried until I got pregnant with Taryn 6 months later. It was really a difficult loss for me as it is for most women.
This time was a little bit different. I already have 4 wonderful children. Some days I think I am done with 4, but Aaron and I both really think there is one more for us up there waiting. We can't shake that feeling. I was thrilled to be pregnant, thrilled that Reina and this baby would be exactly 2 years apart, and thrilled that it would be my last c-section. The morning after I found out, I had a D&C at 6am. It was so early so my friend Devan gave me a ride there, and Aaron picked me up after. I needed him to stay home with the kids and get Mason out the door to school since it was so early. Aaron took care of me that day and my good friend Amy brought us dinner that night. We also had many people from our ward and friends show up with meals, treats and flowers. I have a wonderful support system although most of our families are far away. Although I am sad about losing the baby this time, I realize I am so blessed with the ones I have that I am doing really well. Life is so busy and fragile that I don't have much time to be sad and wallow you know?
I am SO grateful that I am in tune with the spirit enough to feel like I was prepared for this loss. I have a Heavenly Father that loves me and has given me so much comfort this past 2 weeks dealing with this. My body is almost healed, and my hormones are regulating. Maybe :)
I am so grateful for my blessings and I live a full and happy life. And for now, the beautiful picture above of Reina shows me that she is still my baby and that is good for me.

8 comments:
Oh Sarah, I am so sorry! I'm glad that Heavenly Father prepared you before hand so it wasn't such a surprise. It is comforting to look at your other children & know just how blessed you are.
sarah, again, i'm so sorry, but so happy for you that you can see light and positivity in this situation, and most of all, that your Heavenly Father loves you. it's amazing to read how in tune with the Spirit you are and how you were prepared. i know those 4 children are keeping you on your toes and they will continue to until your next one arrives. :)
Beautiful pic of Reina. Love you Sarah. You have a great outlook and truly are so blessed. I love your little family! I wish I would've been of some help to you through this. The distance makes things tough with gas prices and school schedules and all, but I'm always thinking of your family and hoping you're doing well. We'll see you soon!
You are such a strong woman. I am so sorry for your loss but you have a great outlook and are such an inspiration to me and a lot of women that are in your life. I love you sooooo much and am so glad we are friends. PS Reina is MY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! I love her!
So sorry to hear the sad news! That is wonderful that you were in tune with the spirit. I'm glad that helped you handle it a little better. Wish I was there to help out! :->
I can relate. Here is a post about it happening for me last year. http://stoehrs.blogspot.com/2009/02/it-was-worst-of-times-it-was-best-of.html
And now it's nearly forgotten, all the nitty gritty details, I suppose bcse I am holding my new baby. It seems crazy it was just over a year ago that it happened for me. But I know you have the same perspective. I am glad you're taken care of too :)
I am so sorry! Thank you for your great attitude!
Sarah,
I somehow missed that you miscarried on facebook. I am so sorry! Miscarriages are so hard because you are relieved that the body knows when a baby is not quite right but sad because you have already grown attached to the little baby inside of you.
I will be praying for you. I had a miscarriage before this pregnancy and that was really hard. Now my Doctors have told me that this has to be my last pregnancy. I have no idea why some people are blessed with 3 kids or 5 kids but Heavenly Father knows why.
Again...I am so sorry. You have such great faith and strength. I'm glad people in your ward are so responsive and helpful. It is a sad time.
Love Laura
Post a Comment